Hey guys today I’m talking about something I know many of us are struggling with right now… DRY SKIN! The harsh winter weather can really cause your skin to feel flaky, tight, and dull. From the frigid cold outside and the exposure to indoor heaters, your skin needs a little more TLC during the winter. It’s important to adjust your skin care regimen during this time, especially when dealing with the cold temps that can lead to cracked skin.
Living in Chicago I know winter will be sticking around for a few more months and I wanted to share some tips and the products I use to keep my skin soft and glowing in the winter! Here we go:
Moisturize immediately After You Shower
Applying lotion or body oil to damp skin helps seal that moisture in your skin and adds an extra layer of protection.
Use Lukewarm Water
Extremely hot water can leech moisture from your skin, causing damaged and dry skin. Stick with lukewarm water during these cold months to avoid drying out your skin even more.
Go with a super-gentle exfoliator (ExfoliKate is my jam) and use it once or twice a week to keep your skin glowing. This will help slough off dead cells that pile up during the winter.
Drink Lots of Water
I am guilty of reaching for a hot drink like coffee or tea instead of my water bottle. I know it’s important to stay hydrated and I try to remind myself to drink water through out the day. Carry a water bottle with you where ever you go.
If you follow me you know I LOVE facemasks! Feel free to make one at home (please share recipes!!) or try Thirsty Mud by Glamglow, I seriously recommend this 100%! You can also go with a mask with honey as one of the ingredients; it has the natural ability to hold onto water.
Don’t Forget Your Lips
You can also exfoliate your lips and finish off with a lip balm. I make sure to carry a chap stick wherever I go!
My Skin Care Regimen
- Gentle Cleanser– I’ve been using Kate Somerville Daily Cleanser. Make sure to wash away all the built up dirt and oil before exfoliating.
- Exfoliate- you all know I love Kate Somerville ExfoliKate is one of my favorite products. Why this exfoliant? It has papaya, pineapple, and pumpkin enzymes that help enhance skin exfoliation, Salicylic acid helps improve the appearance of pores, and aloe Vera and honey helps soothe and condition skin.
- Serum- Before I apply my moisturizer I use Kate Somerville Dermal Quench, it adds an extra dose of moisture. Look for products with hyaluronic acid this ingredient helps keep your skin hydrated, plump, and youthful
- Moisturizer-Kate Sommerville ExfoliKate Glow is what I’ve been using and I love how it leaves my skin feelings soft and hydrated.
- Tinted moisturizer– My go-to is by Laura Mercier it’ll add an extra layer of moisture and give you a warm dewy look.
- **Bonus** Face Mask- I use Thirty Mud by Glamglow. I’ve used it during long flights or while I sleep because it locks in hydration and smells delicious.
Of course don’t forget your hands and feet! Wear gloves when you go outside, avoid sanitizers with alcohol if possible because they can rob skin of moisture, and apply lotion or Vaseline at night and wear a pair of socks (your feet will be super soft).
Please share what you guys do to help your skin stay healthy and hydrated during the winter! Thanks for stopping by!